Maintaining a comfortable and healthy home requires regular preventive maintenance of its HVAC system. Not only can this upkeep extend the life of the equipment and save you money on energy bills, but it can also prevent a system breakdown or safety hazard. Prevention is key because repairing these issues can be costly and time-consuming.
In this post, you'll learn some tips from the experts to keep your system running smoothly year-round. These techniques will help you maintain your HVAC system without fear of costly repairs in the future. From changing the air filter to scheduling professional inspections, you can take action today and have a more efficient, effective system tomorrow.
Preventative Maintenance Tips
Preventative maintenance is an important part of keeping your HVAC system in good running condition. Regular maintenance and checks can help your system last longer, run more efficiently, and reduce the amount of repair you may have to do. In this section, we will go over some tips to help keep your HVAC system performing optimally and problem-free.
- Change Air Filters: Change the air filter in your HVAC system at least every three months. Dirty filters restrict airflow, reduce efficiency, compromise air quality, and can cause system problems. Consider investing in a higher-quality air filter that can more effectively trap allergens and pollutants. You can also opt for air filters that can be washed, for even long-term cost savings.
- Clean and Maintain Ducts: Have your ducts vacuumed and inspected at least once a year to remove debris and other particles and check for leaks or signs of wear. Sealing any leaks that may be present can help improve safety and increase energy efficiency.
- Monitor Refrigerant Levels: Refrigerant is the liquid that runs through the evaporator and condenser coils in your HVAC system. Over time, the levels in the system can become depleted, causing the system to run inefficiently. Have your technician check your levels once a year and make sure to keep up with regular maintenance to prevent the need for expensive refrigerant replacement.
- Inspect Electrical Connections and Wiring: Have your technician check all the wiring and connections in your system to make sure they are secure, free of damage, and free of corrosion. Any loose or corroded wires can cause system breakdowns and may be a fire hazard.
- Monitor Unit/Indoor Temperatures: Check the temperature of your unit and the temperature of the air coming out of your vents. If these readings are not the same, it could be a sign that your air conditioning system is overworking itself and needs the attention of an HVAC technician. An unbalanced temperature could mean that your system is not performing optimally, and could result in decreased efficiency and increased energy bills.
- Keep the Area Around the Unit Clear: It’s important to keep the area surrounding your outdoor unit clean and clear. Trim back any weeds or foliage, remove any debris, and clean out the area regularly. Blocked airflow to the outdoor unit can cause decreased airflow, overheating, and premature system breakdown.
- Clean the Outdoor Unit: Cleaning the outside unit of your air conditioning system regularly is a very important step to ensure efficient operation and extend the life of the system. To do this, you should start by removing any leaves or debris from the outside unit. Next, you should use a hose to rinse off any dirt or dust that has built up on the outside. Finally, use a vacuum with a hose attachment to remove any dirt or dust that has accumulated on the inside of the unit.
- Check for Leaking Air Ducts: You should have your technician inspect the air ducts for any signs of air leakage. Leaks can cause a decrease in energy efficiency, meaning that you may see an increase in your energy costs. Additionally, these leaks can also be a potential safety hazard. If a leak is found, it should be repaired or sealed in order to prevent further issues.
- Inspect Exhaust Vents: When conducting regular maintenance of your home, it's important to check the exhaust vents throughout the house. This includes bathrooms, kitchens, and any other areas that have an exhaust fan. Make sure the vents are not blocked by any dust or debris, as this can prevent them from working properly. Additionally, check to ensure the vent fan itself is in good working condition, devoid of any dirt, corrosion, or other damage.
- Inspect the Thermostat: Your HVAC system's thermostat is an essential part of keeping your home comfortable. It is important to inspect the thermostat regularly to make sure it is in good working order, and that the settings are accurate. It is also important to keep the thermostat away from any direct sunlight or heat sources, as this can cause the temperature settings to fluctuate.
- Re-Level The Unit: If you notice that your indoor air conditioning unit is running unevenly, it may be due to incorrect leveling. Be sure to have a technician re-level the unit in order to avoid permanent damage. Unlevel units can cause problems such as decreased energy efficiency, longer cooling times, and an uneven temperature throughout your home.
- Schedule Routine HVAC Service: Routine maintenance is the best way to keep your HVAC system running properly and efficiently. Consider having a technician inspect your system twice a year, in the spring and in the fall. Professionals can spot potential problems and make sure your system is tuned up and running correctly.
Preventative maintenance of HVAC components is essential to ensuring an efficient and reliable system. Simple steps like changing filters and cleaning ducts are important for preventing bigger and costlier problems, like compressor damage. Ultimately, to ensure peak performance and minimize repair needs, it's important to contact a reputable HVAC company to perform a professional maintenance check-up on a regular basis. HVAC professionals can identify and address potential issues before they become larger, more expensive concerns and help households and businesses save money in the long run.
Make Sure Your Home in Sterling, VA, Is Always Comfy
Zagros Heating & Air Conditioning is the trusted provider of HVAC maintenance services in Sterling, VA, and the surrounding area. Our residential and commercial customers know that they can count on us to keep their homes and businesses comfortable all year round.
Our trained, experienced HVAC technicians can help maintain your heating and cooling system. We provide thorough examinations, tests, and tune-ups to help make sure that your system is running efficiently and effectively. The maintenance we do can help avoid or diagnose potential problems before they become serious or costly to fix. Our HVAC maintenance services help make sure your home or business always stays comfortable.
At Zagros Heating & Air Conditioning, we understand how important it is to have dependable and comfortable indoor temperatures. That’s why we offer comprehensive maintenance services for clients in Sterling, VA, and the surrounding area. Our experienced technicians can make sure you always have a working HVAC system, no matter the season.
Don’t wait until it’s too late — call Zagros Heating & Air Conditioning today at 703-437-9484 to schedule your HVAC maintenance and keep your home comfortable all year round!